Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Good Things in Life Make for Good Therapy

Margarita Therapy


While I was working today, I mentioned to a coworker that I was experiencing too much anxiety, and the coffee I was using to rev myself up was making it worse. I think I wondered aloud about some sort of something to relieve my anxiety.

And then, without a blink, my coworker, a nursing student, started listing alternative therapies that she was learning in school.

Music Therapy, she said
Or Yoga.
Acupuncture and Massage, she said, although those cost money.
I've been studying pet therapy, she said, and they use it in nursing homes and even prisons to reduce agression.
And then there's always Vodka Therapy, she said.

I think I love her.

Usually when I mention anxiety, people will immediately jump to pharmaceutical solutions, but I personally prefer non chemical cures.

So then, after talking to her about this, I started thinking about the other non traditional therapies that might help anxiety.

I definitely think I have been practicing art therapy. I'd thought it was only to deal with past issues and identity issues and so forth, but recently, I have definitely been feeling the calming and peace inducing effects of art.

Perhaps there's also water therapy. I mean, a nice bath or swim or dip in a hot tub can do wonders.

But let's think about other activities that can lessen stress and depression and sadness and all sorts of other negative emotions.

Nature therapy? A walk in the woods.
Or gardening therapy. Hands in the soil.
Laughter therapy. There's nothing like a really good laugh.
Dance therapy. Use your body, feel the music, express yourself.

And of course, the above pictured Margarita Therapy. Yumm.

What other kind of "therapies" can you think of to deal with the stresses of every day living in the twenty first century?

1 comment:

  1. 1. Tension Tamer Tea
    2. Journal Writing
    3. Read a book of positive quotes
    4. Smell Lavender Oil
    5. Take a walk. Exercise, do something physical to release tension.
    6. Write a gratitude list
    7. Awesome Technique: Vacuuming the Lungs
    http://www.ftrain.com/lungvacuuming.html

    ReplyDelete