Saturday, June 5, 2010

Enjoy The Falling Rain

Down Pour

Lately, I find myself anxious all the time.

Good things are happening, but for some reason, I am full of vibrating nervous energy, and it is really hard to enjoy the good things.

Because of this, I decided to sit down here, even though I don't know what I am going to say, and remind myself that joy is the reason.

JOY.

Exulting in the beauty and wildness and craziness and moments of grace that fill every day.

I don't want to cover all that stuff up with worry about whether things are going to work out or how I am going to manage this or that, or fears about success and failure, wondering if a tornado is going to hit tonight and blow us away from the foundations up.

How does that help us live well? How do all those overwhelming, vague fears help us experience the joy of living?

I'm going to take a lesson from my three year old daughter, who, when the skies opened up in torrents didn't complain that it wasn't sunny, but laughed and sang and reached her arms out to the falling rain.

EXCERCISE:
Spend a day (or an hour, or a week) reframing your experiences. When you are confronted with something that brings you anxiety, stop. Take a deep breath and realize the feelings of nervous energy. Shake yourself out and take a look around you. Instead of seeing what isn't there, what you have to do, what might go wrong, pay attention to all the things that are wonderful. The weather, your children, a smiling face, a good book, the sweetness of a soda... whatever is around that delights the senses and comforts the soul.

This can be very hard, sometimes. It is easy to fall back into negativity and anxiety. So when the negative emotions come back, do it again. Instead of feeling out of control when faced with a challenge, reframe the experience into a challenging game, an exciting adventure.

I'm going to try this myself. I'll report back on how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment